Describe a story someone told you, and you remember
You should say:
What was the story about?
Who told you this story?
Why do you remember it?
And how do you feel about it?
- Well, we heard stories from our parents, podcasts. It is impossible to remember all stories or stories told by someone else.
- We remember only those stories which put an impression on our minds.
- Here I would like to talk about a story told by my grandfather about the partition of India and Pakistan.
- My grandfather shared a struggle to reach Punjab from Pakistan.
- He told me that he and his parents lived in Pakistan’s Punjab before Independence.
- When the British declared that two countries would emerge after independence, it was unsure which part of Punjab would be given to India and Pakistan.
- My great grandparents were in dilemma whether to remain in Sialkot or leave to Indian Punjab.
- While they were thinking about this, riots began in the border cities of Indian Punjab and Pakistan’s Punjab.
- Due to this situation, my great-grandparents decided to go to India’s Punjab.
- Before they embarked on their journey, they collected necessary items they would use during the journey and picked arms to protect themselves.
- The whole journey was very terrifying because rioters were on the hunt to kill people who were not from their community. This happened on both sides of Punjab.
- But luckily, they managed to reach Indian Punjab without facing any rioters group.
- This is the story that always horrifies me.
- So, this is the story that I remember, and I will never forget the hard time my ancestors had to face.
- Has storytelling changed over a period of time?
Definitely, in the past, I remember before going to sleep, I heard stories from my grandmother. But nowadays, we usually hear stories online, like on podcasts, YouTuber videos, and even documentaries are made on incidents that happened in the past.
- Which way is better, traditional storytelling or the use of technology in storytelling?
Well, this is a very difficult question to answer. In the traditional method, storytellers can change some facts and figures to make the story more humorous. More importantly, stories are not documented, and storytellers may say that they haven’t made this statement. However, with the help of technology, all statements made are documented, and the storyteller will hesitate to make false statements.
- Do you think that generally, most people are good at storytelling?
Definitely not. Storytelling is an art because when you share your experience with others, you have to make it sure that people listening to you remain interested in what you are sharing with them. It is important to keep the audience how much details should be presented to the audience. This art can be learned by practicing.
- What makes storytelling effective?
To effectively deliver stories, one must be clear about what they want to share with others. So, clarity is key. Another thing is details about the incident are really important. This is because the storyteller should share enough details, so the audience remains engaged in what is being said.
- Is reading books beneficial or watching documentaries better?
Reading books is more beneficial because we want to truly understand the situation. This is because in books, authors describe the whole situation in a much broader way, and there is no limit on the author about how many pages are used to describe details. However, documentaries are really timebound, and it is really difficult to explain actual incidents in such a short span of time.
WHAT IS IELTS SPEAKING CUE CARD?
In the IELTS speaking test, the candidate is required to speak on a topic for about 1 to 2 minutes. The pattern of IELTS exam is designed to check the understanding level of English. The important thing to keep in mind that the topic given in IELTS speaking test cannot be changed. With the speaking topic, 3 to 4 cues are provided which helps candidates to answer the question to the point.
Here is the list of the latest cue cards which are released every four months.
IELTS exam is conducted all around the world and there are two types of exam Academic and General exam. Many people join IELTS preparation classes or coaching centres to improve their English skills. This helps many candidates to increase their band scores. On labotrees, you can IELTS preparation material for free.